Investing in precious metals or rare coins is a smart way to diversify your investments, and it’s easy to do so with a gold IRA. A reputable gold IRA or precious metals investment company will ensure the security of your investment.
APMEX is the world’s leading precious metals online retailer. This Oklahoma-based company offers gold, silver, platinum, palladium, and other numismatic products from various mints across the globe. It boasts more than $11 billion in transactions since its establishment in 2000. It’s easy to see why it can be an ideal partner when investing in precious metals and Gold IRA.
APMEX History and Background
Scott Thomas, a dedicated coin collector, formed American Precious Metals Exchange (APMEX) in Edmond, Oklahoma, in 2000. The company started with only four staff members selling precious metals from a small storefront. Today, it boasts an 80,000-square-foot store with more than 200 employees.
APMEX is one of the leading sources in the precious metals industry for buying, selling, and educational resources. Over the last 15 years, APMEX has supplied more than 130 million ounces of precious metals in at least 60 countries across the globe.
In 2017, APMEX was ranked #45 on Internet Retailer magazine’s Top 500 Guide. It also ranked #1 specialty e-retailer for the third consecutive year. The company is a member of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, the American Numismatic Association, the Industry Council for Tangible Assets, and the International Precious Metals Institute. APMEX boasts an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
APMEX has a well-organized, user-friendly website categorized by metal type – gold, silver, platinum, and collectibles. It is further organized by product type – bars, rounds, and coins. Moreover, the website has easy-to-understand pricing and a straightforward checkout experience.
It is worth noting that APMEX charges a 4% fee if you purchase products from the site using a credit card. Those who don’t want to pay the fee should make a wire transfer or send a check within 24 hours. Still, you will need to provide a credit card number to lock in the price.
APMEX needs to receive your check within five business days to honor its locked-in price. While this may sound complicated, APMEX has a responsive live chat and customer service number through which you can reach them if you have any issues.
The APMEX site features a vast selection of precious metals, making it easy to choose your desired investment pieces. They update the website regularly with new offerings. They also offer rare and foreign coins and various other items for hobbyists and collectors.
APMEX Products, Services, and Offerings
APMEX offers a wide range of products and services, including gold, silver, palladium, platinum, and rare coins for personal storage and investment in gold IRAs. The company also purchases precious metals from investors looking to sell.
Other products that APMEX carries include:
- The American Eagle – Featuring Lady Liberty on its obverse side, this gold coin is popular in the gold market since it is stamped with a troy ounce of gold as its total weight. The value of this collectible coin increases as it gets older.
- The Gold Buffalo – This coin features a historical image of a native American on its front side. It was originally released in gold in June 2006 for use in modern IRAs.
- The Australian Platypus – This Australian government-minted coin is an excellent asset in your IRA. This smooth-textured coin features an image of a platypus jumping into submerged vegetation, while the front of the coin features the image of Queen Elizabeth II.
- The Gold Panda – You can also expand your Gold IRA with the Chinese gold panda coin, first minted in 1982. This coin is available in five sizes, and the one-ounce coin is the largest you can buy. The gold panda features the Temple of Heaven, built in 1406, on its obverse side.
- The Austrian Gold Bar – One thing that sets Austrian gold bars apart is that they weigh up to 250 grams, equivalent to 8.04 ounces. They are an excellent selection if you want to feel the weight of gold in your hands. Austrian suppliers sell all their gold bars with the country’s indented seal.
APMEX Gold IRA
A gold IRA is a self-directed retirement account that holds IRS-approved precious metals. As the account owner, you’ll need to purchase assets using funds in an IRA custodian account, then store the assets in a secure depository. Silver and gold IRAs are a great option for part of a retirement portfolio, with fairly stable precious metals prices offering security in a dynamic financial market.
If you want to open a gold IRA, APMEX can help. Their personable and knowledgeable sales team will guide you through the process, which includes:
- Opening a dedicated custodian account – The IRS requires that you hold your IRA assets using a dedicated custodial account.
- Funding your account – You may fund your account using new funds or a gold IRA rollover from an existing IRA.
- Choosing and buying IRA-approved metals – According to the IRS, the gold bars, coins, and rounds used to fund an IRA must be at least 0.9995 fine. The only exception is the gold American Eagle, which should be at least 0.9167 fine. If you’re using silver products, be sure they are at least 0.999 fine, whereas palladium and platinum should be at least 0.9995 fine.
The APMEX website makes it fast and convenient to shop for IRA-approved products since they are all grouped in one section of the website.
APMEX Gold IRA Costs
Unlike most precious metal dealers, APMEX publishes prices on its website. You will also find current market prices for various precious metals displayed on the website. Precious metal prices fluctuate frequently based on factors such as the level of market volatility and the availability of metals.
You can expect published prices to change at any time. Consider buying in bulk if you want to save some cash. The chart below shows some recent prices for some of the most popular products at APMEX.
|APMEX IRA-Approved Metals
|One-ounce American Eagle Gold Coin||$1,562.39|
|One-ounce American Eagle Silver Coin||$20.05|
|One-ounce American Eagle Platinum Coin||$1,038.29|
|One-ounce Gold Bar||$1,522.39|
|One-ounce Silver Bar||$18.68|
|Ten-ounce Gold Bar||$15,273.99|
|Ten-ounce Silver Bar||$184.80|
How to Purchase Precious Metals from APMEX
The first step to buying precious metals for your Gold IRA at APMEX is to call a sales representative, who can help you select the best metals for an IRS-approved account. Purchasing precious metals from APMEX is a simple online process – just choose your desired investment pieces and add them to your shopping cart.
You should complete your purchase within 10 minutes of adding products to your cart because of the dynamic nature of precious metal prices. Once you’re done selecting your purchases, you can either checkout as a guest or create an account and log in.
APMEX allows different payment options, including credit cards, Bitcoin, and bank transfers. Established customers also have the privilege of paying with personal checks. It is worth noting that all precious metal orders are subject to state sales tax. While precious metals shipping is free, orders under $99 are subject to a $9.99 shipping fee.
Does APMEX require a minimum Gold IRA order?
APMEX does not have a minimum for domestic orders. However, international orders must be at least $250 when purchased with Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, or credit card. The minimum order for bank transfer purchase is $1,500.
What percentage of my portfolio should be in APMEX precious metals?
Your portfolio should have 4-12% of APMEX precious metals to diversify your investments.
Does APMEX accept precious metal trades?
In certain circumstances, APMEX may accept silver, gold, and platinum trades. Contact a sales representative for more information.
Do APMEX gold or precious metals come with a guarantee?
APMEX provides a full guarantee for gold or precious metals you purchase from them. They allow for returns, refunds, and exchanges depending on the product.
Is there a difference between investing in a gold IRA and precious metals mutual fund?
Precious metal mutual funds invest in gold-related industries, mainly mining companies. While they are usually ideal for an IRA or 401(k), they don’t invest in actual gold. The value of a Gold IRA depends on the physical metal available in the account.
Whether you plan to start a Gold IRA or you’re thinking of buying precious metals or rare coins, you can’t go wrong with APMEX. This company offers competitive prices and excellent customer support. They can help you get the most from your gold or precious metals IRA.
If you are interested in investing in precious metals or opening a gold IRA, don’t hesitate to contact us!